Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Overwhelming Day

Well last week I had an appointment I wanted to tell everyone about, but unfortunately it got cancelled last minute and rescheduled for today! It's incredible how sometimes you mentally psyche yourself up for stuff and then it doesnt happen! ARGHHHHHH very frustrating ... probably a good thing I didnt have it last week, I was pre-menstrual and quite emotional where as this week I'm much more mentally stable LMAO@ me.

So today, I met with Dr Masters, a plastic surgeon to discuss a bodylift operation. Craig picked me up from work at 3:30pm and we headed off for our appointment. I was a little nervous ... someone was going to be looking and touching my wobbly bits and that got me a bit strung up. I was also freaking that he'd take one look at me and say ... lady you are way too fat to even consider this LOL. The things our minds do to us eh? I need to stop talking to myself!

We got there early and sat in the car and just chatted for a bit - my darling is the best around gotta love him. We went upstairs to the consultation rooms and there is this HUGEEEEEEEEE big door - quite intimidating but amazing at the same time. We walked into this lovely reception area, with antiques and candles and flowers - really lovely. There were two women in there Leanne (who turned out to be Dr Masters wife) and Bella the receptionist - she was absolutely lovely! We were offered a comfy antique couch to sit on, water to drink and quietly chatted to the receptionist while we waited. Dr Masters appeared pretty quickly - a young, smartly dressed man who just had a nice calm persona about him. I actually felt quite at ease immediately with him. Nerves had disappeared by now!

We followed him into the consultation room and the three of us sat around the table and talked. I told him about my weightloss history, what my body concerns were - he went through my medical history information and then it was the dreaded time of getting undressed - but it really felt ok. His wife came back in for this part. I was just in knickers and bra and he lifted bits, poked bits, measured bits, pulled bits up and down ... it was quite fascinating but at the same time, not gross - I actually didnt feel self conscious at all. I realised that this man and his wife would have seen ALL SORTS of bodies before mine. So then he asked me to walk to a mirror and the four of us took a look at me *giggle*. He started lifting bits and showing me where he'd make incisions, where things would be pulled or removed from - where my new belly button would be - really amazing - holy crap have I got a fantastic body under this flab! LMAO He said my legs werent too bad so I may not need to have a thigh lift as part of it - but that will depend on what happens over the next 7 months of weightloss.

So the deal is this ... it will be a 6.5hr operation, it is major surgery, there are serious risks just like any other operation involving general anaesthetic - these can be minimised by being the lightest and fittest I can be, the operation will remove about 8kgs of excess fat and skin, recovery will be at least 3 weeks before I can walk normally without being hunched over or drive a car.

He said I am an excellent candidate for this type of operation and I would get great results from it. So the bottom line is ... I need to lose a minimum of 10 kgs, but would obviously benefit with better results and less risks being under the 100kg mark.

I was really impressed, he involved Craig in the whole conversation - asking if he had any concerns, issues or questions.

I had two main questions ...

  • can i go to australia @ christmas time and ride rollercoasters? Answer: Yes!
  • if my fanny gets lifted will i have pubes around my belly button? Answer: No!

I need to go back to him a month before the op is scheduled (at this point in time I'm aiming for 3 Sept as "d-day"), this will reevaluated whats changed in 7 months, get my preop stuff sorted out and any other questions/concerns etc.

Hell.

It's really happening ... this is it. The one and only chance I get to be the best me I can be.

Food today:

Breakfast - muesli, fruit and milk
Lunch - small dinner roll, beef stirfry, salad, melon, cheese and 2 crackers
Dinner - lamb chop, half piece of corn on cob, salad, nectarine
Snacks - 4 brazil nuts, peppermint tea, nectarine

Oh yeah, its been three weeks since I stopped drinking coffee! All is well.

4 comments:

Chris H said...

YES !!! YES!!! YES !!!! I told you he was a fantastic man Eh??? I think he's the best, and I am so glad you are going with him and Leanne, they are sooo nice. If you have any questions I would be only too happy to answer them from a patients view, please remember that! WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO !

Anne said...

Exciting for you! No doubts in your mind at all which is brilliant. Go for it!!

LOL - loved your 2nd question:)

Rachel said...

GAWD GIRL, HOW EXCITING!!!!!

I also LOVED your 2nd question and would have loved to seen Doc's face with that one.....LOL

3rd Sept.....countdown time.
28 weeks and 3 days *squeal*.

You will lose that 10kgs FOR SURE!

Chubbymum said...

Wowww Leenie that is such exciting news. I know that I will need surgery when I get to goal... but I am such a wuss I just couldn't do it..

You go girl!!!

You can lose the 10kg that is piss easy for ya.

Love CM